Angioplasty is a surgical procedure that is done to open heart arteries. A tiny balloon catheter is used with or without a stent which is used to widen the blocked blood vessel to improve blood flow to your heart.
The medicated stent helps in decreasing the chances of narrowing again.
The cardiologist at Felix hospital is among the best in the industry and takes utmost care of its patients.
Why is Angioplasty done?
Angioplasty is done to treat the enlargement of fatty plaques in your heart's blood vessels.
Some common reasons for the need for Angioplasty are-
- One has tried all non-invasive methods such as medication, lifestyle changes, etc.
- Increasing chest pain problem
- Heart attack
Risks involved in Angioplasty
Angioplasty is less invasive as compared to bypass. But minor chances for risk include –
- Narrowing of the artery – There are 10%-20% chances of re-narrowing of the arteries
- Blood Clots – Blood Clots can form around the stents after the procedure. One has to be careful and strictly follow all the after precautions advised by the doctor
- Bleeding – There are chances of bleeding around the body part (leg, wrist, etc.) where the catheter was inserted
The less common risks are –
- Heart Attack
- Artery Damage
- Kidney problem
- Abnormal heart rhythms – Heath can sometimes beat slowly or too quickly
How to Prevent It
Precautions that need to be taken after Angioplasty
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Exercise regularly
- Eat a balanced diet
- No smoking and drinking
- Control other medical conditions under control like Blood pressure, sugar levels, cholesterol, etc