Some of the common tests include
White Blood Cell Count (WBC)
Red Blood Cell Count (RBC)
Haematocrit Red Blood Cell Volume (HCT)
Haemoglobin Concentration (HB). This is the oxygen-carrying protein in red blood cells.
Differential White Blood Count.
Red blood cell indices (measurements)
Cytopathology tests also known as Smear tests are done to detect diseases at a cellular level, usually for diagnosis of cancer and infectious and inflammatory conditions such as microbial infections: parasitic, viral, and/or bacterial, reactive changes, immune reactions, cell aging, amyloidosis, autoimmune diseases.
Serology Tests are done to find antibodies and antigens. It is a blood test to identify the type of infection one has like bacteria, virus, fungi or parasites.
Immunology tests are done to identify certain infectious diseases. Some of the common reasons for this test include
- Bowel cancer screening: This test is done to identify blood pigment haemoglobin (a sign of blood in stool) leading to haemorrhoids, polyps or even bowel cancer.
- Allergy tests: To detect substances which triggers allergy like grass pollen or certain foods.
- Detecting germs causing an infection:
- Diagnosing heart attacks and thrombosis:
- Urine test: To identify diabetes, Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) or kidney damage
- Pregnancy test: To check for pregnancy hormone
- Rapid tests for drugs and medication: To check for recreational drugs such as cannabis, ecstasy and cocaine.
- Determining your blood group and for blood transfusion.
Clinical Biochemistry Lab
Biochemistry test involve both blood and urine tests. Common clinical test performed under biochemistry includes Kidney function tests, Liver function tests, minerals (calcium, potassium etc), Blood disorder (iron, Vit D, Vit B12 etc), Electrotypes (sodium, potassium etc), cardiac markers, Glucose, Uric acid etc
Microbiology labs offers tests for bacteriology, mycology, parasitology, virology, and mycobacteriology. The lab is composed of different sections like Aerobic and Anaerobic Bacteriology, Mycology, Parasitology, Mycobacteriology.
Histopathology involves examination of granular understanding of whole tissues to identify diseases and problems for detailed diagnosis by the doctors.
Clinical Pathology Lab
Clinical pathology is done to watch certain levels of chemical or other substances in the body through blood, urine or other body fluid samples.