Back is a complex structure of muscles, ligaments, tendons, disks, and bones to support the body and enable us to move around. Problems with any of these components can lead to back pain. Usually, the pain goes away without treatment. But if there is prolonged pain along with symptoms, you must visit the doctor.
Back pain can be of two types-
- Acute Pain – Starts suddenly and lasts up to 6 weeks
- Chronic Pain – Long term pain developed over a long period of time
||Inflammation or swelling on the back
|Persistent back pain, in which lying down or resting does not help
||Pain down the legs
||Pain that reaches below the knees
|A recent injury, blow or trauma to the back
|Loss of control over bowel movements
||Numbness around the genitals
||Numbness around the anus
|Numbness around the buttocks
There can be multiple reasons for back pain. Some of the common causes include –
- Strain - Activities like lifting something improperly, or lifting heavy weights or lifting in an awkward position strains the muscles
- Structural problems like Ruptured disks, Bulging disks, Arthritis, Abnormal curvature of the spine etc
- Movement or Poor Postures like sitting/standing for long periods, twisting, overstretching, pushing, pulling, bending awkwardly etc
- Sleep Disorder
- Infection of the spine
- Sedentary Lifestyle
- Poor or No physical fitness
- Obesity and Excessive Weight
- Any medical conditions lie Arthritis or Osteoporosis
How to Prevent It
At Felix hospital of Orthopaedics and Joint Replacement Surgery, the diagnostic workup is already in place comprising of-
- Physical Examination
- CT Scan or MRI
- Bone Scan
- Electromyography or EMG
How to Prevent it
- Exercise – It is one of the best ways to prevent back pain. Exercise helps to reduce your weight.
- Eat Right – You should eat a balanced diet like fruits and vegetables, dairy products etc. Eating right keeps the functioning of the intestine properly.
- Sleep sideways on your bed instead of sleeping on your stomach
- Maintaining proper posture - You should work at the ergonomic position. And you should take breaks in between long sitting/standing hours.
- Reduce Stress – Many people do not know that stress can lead to back pain. The stress muscles can cause your muscle to tense and this constant tension aggravates back pain.