Ringworm is a skin infection caused by fungi (and not by any worm) that lives on dead cells/tissue of your skin, nail or hair. Ringworm infection can infect both humans and animals. The infection is initially red patches and slowly becomes a ring-like structure, clear in the centre and a red patch on the outside edges.
The infection can spread by itching affected area or using shared towels/clothes of the person infected.
At Felix Hospital, we offer holistic care to our patients and it is one of best skin care centre in Noida, for all your skin treatment.
- Some of the common signs for ringworm include-
- Red, Itchy or scaly ring-shaped area on the buttocks, trunk, arms and legs
- A clear or scaly area inside the ring while red bumps on the outside edge
- A round, slightly raised patch of itchy skin
It is caused by fungi which sits on the outer layer of your skin. The infection can spread by following ways-
- From Human – It can spread from the person infected if you share their towel or clothes.
- From Animals – If any of your pet or animal is infected by ringworm. The infection can easily spread by touching your pet. Ringworms are common in pet dogs, cats and cows.
- From an object – Ringworm can also be spread through an object if an infected person has touched/rubbed that particular object like clothes, towels, bedsheets, hankie etc
- From Soil – Ringworm can also be caused by the soil
How to Prevent It
- Wash your hands and legs with soap when you come from outside
- Wear slippers/flip-flops at public showers and locker room near the pool area
- Do not share your clothes and towel with someone especially if that person has ringworm or any other skin allergy
- Always wear washed and clean clothes
- Wash your hands after touching or playing with the pet